Saturday, March 21, 2020

Harry Potter Response

I reread the first Harry Potter novel for the first time since I was eleven or twelve, and was surprised by how much I noticed when I wasn't invested in just the story.  There was a lot more exposition than I remembered.  I believe it was more noticeable the second time reading it because I already knew the rules of the world, and didn't need to be immersed the same way I did when I read it the first time.  I was also a little surprised at how much less believable some of the characters seemed.  It felt very much like a fairy tale, with children living through life changing events and not reacting how you would expect a child to actually react.

I also noticed a lot more themes the second time reading it.  Many of the themes prevalent in the first novel are reoccurring in later novels.  The idea of a found family is one of the bigger ones.  It's established early in the novel that Harry's blood relatives are not the ones who care about his safety and well-being.  A lot of the first novel is establishing Harry's friends, and giving him an "actual" family that he can rely on through the next six novels.

I think it's interesting that, like The Hobbit, Harry Potter changed the way we view a genre.  Witches and wizards are commonly seen portrayed more similarly to the witches and wizards in Harry Potter than traditional witches and wizards.  Harry Potter has become a large part of pop culture, and because of that has changed the way we view different parts of fantasy and magic. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Bloodchild Response

1. What is your reaction to the text you just read?  I found this work disturbing and a horrific view on a fairly common Science Fiction th...