Monday, April 6, 2020

Shards of Honor Response

I found the tone of Lois McMaster Bujold's novel inconsistent and difficult to get into.  I've never been a big fan of sci-fi in general.  I wanted to give Shards of Honor a chance because, as a space opera, it seemed to be structured more like a high fantasy novel.  I found the tone of novel confusing at points, which made it difficult for me to fully get into it.

Shards of Honor seemed to be focused around the central love story while waving away a lot of trauma.  The love story plot seemed too lighthearted for all of the serious things Cordelia was faced with.  There were a lot of moments where I believed the story was going to take a much darker turn than it did.  When Cordelia got back to Beta Colony, her treatment is so unsettling that it seemed like the story was going to take a much darker turn.  Instead, it's kind of passed over without any acknowledgement of how traumatizing everything must have been for Cordelia.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Bloodchild Response

1. What is your reaction to the text you just read?  I found this work disturbing and a horrific view on a fairly common Science Fiction th...